Overseas and International Licence Conversions

Driver’s arriving from overseas may be required to undertake an assessment to ensure they have a full understanding of South Australian road rules and regulations. Drivers must first contact the Motor Registration Office at a Service Centre to find out if this applies to them. Applicants will be issued with a Section 80, a temporary driving permit, and be required to undertake a practical test.

If you need to sit a test, Safe Roads Driving School can help you prepare and assess your skills, making sure you are competent and understand the road rules. While the basic skills apply to driving anywhere in the world, local variations and different expectations of driver safety and courtesy can be taught by Safe Roads Driving School, ensuring you pass your test.

The Section 80 is valid for one month from the date of issue and the Vehicle on Road Test (VORT) or the Competency Based Training and Assessment (CBT&A) must be completed before this expires. If the permit lapses, overseas drivers must apply to become a learner driver and follow the procedures under the terms of that licence.

To ensure an easy transition, overseas drivers are encouraged to contact Safe Roads Driving School. We will take you through the requirements for passing your VORT or CBT&A. Our expert knowledge and training methods will polish any rough patches and help you become a licensed South Australian driver. Call us today on (08) 8367 7499 for further details and book your lessons.